Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Encounter With VIP

When talking about VIP, one could not help but to imagine 'the grandest experience one's ever had'. And when the level of VIP reaches higher to VVIP, then the grandest experience become the most magnificent experience, and to a certain extend, could be very terrifying.

I do have a few share of encounters with VVIP, which happen to be quite common (and very much expected) along the diplomat's world. Honestly, the experiences did a bit terrifying at first, as I was not really sure what to expect, and at the same time really exciting. I couldn't describe the anxiousness I felt, but at the same moment I know, sooner or later I will have to face the fact that that experience is expected, as I am married to a career diplomat.

My first encounter with VIP during my first year abroad was when I have to pay courtesy call to the Ambassador's wife, aka meeting with Datin. As my husband is from Wisma Putra, I am automatically become a member of PERWAKILAN, and at the moment she is the President of PERWAKILAN in Brussels. I was quite nervous, as she's the first Datin I met, and I didn't really know how should I act, what should I say at the moment. I became very particular to my dressing, the matching accessories, shoes and other small stuffs. My husband, he was such an angel back then when he reassured me that she's actually a fine lady to meet. The meeting turned to be quite a nice evening, as she managed to warmth the meeting, and I learnt a lot about ladies' involvement especially to be the wife of the diplomat, and she did offered a lot of advices that may come handy during my stay in Brussels.

Then I remember during the same year I have to attend our National Day's official reception at Hilton Hotel. That's the first time I experienced mixing around with diplomats from different countries, and having the opportunity to chit-chatting with several ambassadors and their spouses. My favourite diplomat personalities are the Thai Ambassadors and his wife. Both are so charming and so friendly. When I met them at first I really didn't have any clue of their position, and I was kind of treated them as they were just like other officers. Then when my husband quietly told me that they are the Ambassador of Thailand and the wife, how surprised I was! Luckily I managed not to spoil the evening by being as charming as I could..

a pix with diplomats from European Union, taken during National Day Reception at Hotel Hilton
...........................................................

Last year, I attended plenty of official reception. Mostly hosted by our Embassy in Belgium, the National Day's reception at Hotel Hilton, the Hari Raya Aidilfitri's reception at Malaysia's Resident and Dinner with Prime Minister at Conrad Hotel. These were events which mostly required us, spouses of the officers in Malaysian Embassy in Belgium to be as gracious as a hostess should be, as we were expected to entertain invited guests from various countries. Some other events were organized by other countries such as Brunei Darussalam's Hari Raya Open House at Brunei Ambassador's residents and few more. Of course there were plenty other invitation but most of the time they only invited the officers, and that wasn't a big matter for me.

The biggest event at the moment that I've attend during our stay here is during Dinner with our Prime Minister and Datin Seri at Conrad Hotel, a day after ASEM Summit was over. It was meant to gather representatives of Malaysian that reside in Belgium and Luxembourg.

VIP and VVIP at VIP table during Dinner with PM at Conrad Hotel in Brussels, Belgium
...........................................................

Dinner with PM and Datin Seri (man in blue suit is the President of Malaysian In Belgium-Luxembourg Association MABL)
...........................................................

my husband and I entertaining guests at our table during Dinner With PM
...........................................................

a pix with PERWAKILAN Ladies and MABL's members
...........................................................

That was a big opportunity for us to finally get closer to PM and Datin Seri. And we also get to know the Minister of Foreign Affairs up close, and managed to chit-chat with his wife Datin Sri Siti Rubiah.

a pix with Dato' Sri Anifah Aman with his wife Datin Sri Siti Rubiah, upon returning to Malaysia after ASEM Summit 2010
...........................................................

Another surprise we had was when we accidentally (in a pleasurable way) get to take picture with HM Sultan Brunei himself, when he was about to leave Brussels to return to Brunei Darussalam. It was quite a nerving experience, when we Ladies cautiously practised the term 'Tuanku' only to get his attention and permission to take picture together.

a pix with H.M. Sultan Brunei, a day after dinner with PM at Conrad Hotel
...........................................................

And here I would like to share bits of picture taken with some other important people I've met in Brussels during formal events. It's quite a challenging role that I am required to play as being part of 'images of Malaysian abroad'.

a pix of Wisma Putra's officers (and spouses and family) and staffs, with H.E. Ambassador Dato' (no6 from right) and Datin (no7 from right). taken during Hari Raya Aidilfitri 2010
...........................................................

a pix with officers and lecturers from UPM during INNOVA in Brussels 2010
...........................................................

a pix with Brunei diplomat and her family, taken at Brunei's Resident during Hari Raya Open House 2010
...........................................................



--
p/s owh, seeing these pictures, I really need to lose weight after this pregnancy... hopefully by end of this year I'll finally get my figure. Do pray with me! I'm really desperate for a weight loss.. (^^)

No comments: