Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Chapter 4 : New Experience, Living in Brussels, Belgium

It's been a week (10 days to be exact) since we arrived in Brussels, Belgium. What an experience. I was having a slight fear on how will my baby react during the long hours flight. But then again he did make me proud on his behaviour during our first flight together to Kota Kinabalu. Not even a single tear shed, (except for nappy changing and hungers) and even the passengers played with him all along the way. He did adjust to the changes of altitudes by simply gulping himself some air, to ease the pressure off his ears. And he did not sleep all along the way. Even his daddy was impressed! And still, IS IMPRESSED!

That was my first 'balik kampung' after almost 2 years being in Semenanjung Malaysia. And yet, now I am here in Belgium, and most probably wont be in Sabah for at least the next 4 years ahead. My feelings? All mixed-up. And I prefer not to talk about it... as the subject could be very touchy. To be here for at least 3 years, requires a lot of sacrifices. As a career woman, it's hard to part with job. But, I manage to pull it through. I took unpaid-leave, leaving my career as a student's counselor back in SMK Cyberjaya, which had kept my brain working... (guess I need to find alternatives to workout my mind) I leave my fellow friends, which shared all the joy... not to mention my own relatives... My nation...

But then I keep a positive thinking. I have a new family on my own. With my husband and my baby boy, that should make a difference to my entire life. Trying my best to be an obedient wife and loving mother, I wish to help improvring our family lifestyle. I am trying my best to polish my soft skills as new mother, practice some singing lullaby, practise my speedy cooking skills, using a few basic French language with the cleaning-maid here in Ambiorix Aparthotel...and taking care of my beauty (what?)... again... I need to look good to give people good impression to my husband...

Back to Umair story again... he did proved to us how well-behaved he was during our 13 hours flight from Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam. (a 4 hour transit before Brussels). It has been a very long night travel, and I did confused a bit, as we were departed at 12.00am, midnight at KLIA, and to arrive Amsterdam in dawn, when in Malaysia was already past midday. My husband did some talk with the stewards on board to Amsterdam, and they praised Umair! One of the stewardess from Kedah said there was one baby boy travel to China, he was crying all the way on board, which they secretly thought very annoying to other passangers, and the mother couldn't do anything to help him.

At first we do have some problems in adjusting to the new timezone here. Being used to Malaysian time, and the difference, -7hrs in Brussels, really makes me almost doze-off every time I nursed my baby. Luckily enough, by this tenth day all of us are almost settle in. For the first week, Umair was a bit cranky, maybe because of the dryness of the air that we inhale here, or the dimness lighting in this apartment...he was quite tough to handle at the beginning. Thank God by today, I believe Umair has almost settle down, he always smile to me when I feed him, and that really melt my heart! He even chuckled! And that really cute!

Can't wait to hug my husband. He's been quite busy this week. Poor my husband. He got cold just a few days after arrival, by his exposure to the extreme cold (well, -2c is considered extreme, isn't it?), just to buy us some groceries to stock up the kitchen. Anyway, he's getting well, but recently he always exhausted when reaching home. The top-person of the Ministry is right now visiting Brussels, and there's lot to be done in the Embassy. Last night he reached apartment just after midnight. And tonight, he'll be home quite late. Tomorrow, he'll go to Netherlands...for a day-round trip, with some of the Embassy officers. And again, I'll be alone with my baby.

Another new experience today, I bathed with Umair in the 'jacuzzi' (the apartment claims)... and that was a very happy moment for both of us. Umair loved paddling his little feet while I balanced his body in the water. And by that, I managed to get Umair's father jealous... hehehehe... (sorry darling... you are busy, so Umair has all the chances with his mommy...)

This afternoon, I "SKYPE"ed with Umair grandparents, and they really delighted to saw him. I did get them to some tour around this aparthotel, and everything went smooth.

Well, it's getting dark here. And I think Umair need changing. I love my husband, I love my baby....wish us all the best here...

No comments: